Friday, October 28, 2011

Glass Chapter 1 Draft

This is the first draft of the first chapter of an original science-fiction story I'm working on called Glass. Glass is a highly experimental work and a break from my usual style. As of such, comments and criticisms are welcome and begged for. As feedback rolls in, expect to see many changes to this story.

The Experiment:
 (aka what I'm trying to practice)
  • Present-tense storytelling
  • Stream-of-consciousness style writing
  • Minimal exposition
  • World-building without pre-planning
Now, let me clarify that last point. Normally, when I write a long story set somewhere other than Earth, I do months of world-building ahead of time. For Glass, I'm starting from square one, allowing the world to be fleshed out by the story. However, I also want to limit obvious exposition. Characters won't needlessly discuss things they already know and understand, simply for the benefit of the reader. Thus, all exposition in the story will need to be organic and subtle, as opposed to blunt explanations. The reader will have to infer a lot of details about the setting from the dialogue and narrative.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j7MIOZR4dzL-JQn-ejKdDO-5t3JkOPS4BWHaKMhneEU/edit

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment